Becoming a Paramedic
To become a paramedic in Manitoba, you must graduate from an paramedic education program approved by the provincial regulator (Manitoba Health, Seniors and Living - Emergency Medical Services Branch) and successfully complete the national written examination.
The Primary Care Paramedic education program is a minimum of 1020 contact hours, including at least 60 hours of clinical practice in various health care settings and 240 hours of paramedic practicum experience. The education is based on the entry-to-practice competencies outlined in the National Occupational Competency Profile (NOCP) for Paramedics as defined by the Paramedic Association of Canada.
Program Entrance Prerequisites
To enrol in a Primary Care Paramedic education program in Manitoba, applicants require:
- Secondary School diploma or equivalent including one senior level credit in biology, one senior level credit in chemistry or physics and two senior level credits in English;
- Level C Health Care Provider CPR certification (current within one year);
- Valid class 4 Manitoba driver’s licence;
- Up-to-date immunization status including Varicella and Hepatitis B;
- Current criminal record and child abuse registry checks;
- Completion of a physical fitness test related to suitability for a career in Paramedicine. (The results of this fitness test are used for counseling and advisement purposes only)
Approved Education Programs
The Manitoba provincial regulator approves the following Primary Care Paramedic education programs:
- Criti Care EMS Inc.
- Manitoba Emergency Services College
- Red River College (PCP)
- Canadian Medical Association (CMA) accredited PCP education programs from other jurisdictions.
Graduates of an approved education program are eligible to write the national examination within one year of course completion. Upon successful completion of the national exam a licence application must then be submitted to the provincial regulator. More information is available on the Manitoba Health, Seniors and Living - Emergency Medical Services Branch web site .